By Nikki Starr, aka "Starr"
These are my top 5 herbs to support my Bikram Yoga practice. When I use them, I use them consistently for a period of time in order to supplement my practice; however, I do not use them on a constant, month-to-month basis (except for Coconut Oil, which I do use everyday, often a few times a day for skincare, haircare, and also for cooking). I cycle them in and out of my routine depending on where my body is at and what it needs.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), or “Indian Ginseng” is one of the world’s most potent adaptogens
- Helps the body adapt to and increase resistance to physiological and psychological stress
- Powerful rejuvenative, promoting strength and vitality
- Ashwagandha can be both calming and energizing, depending on your body's needs
- Normalizes Energy & Mood, relaxing the mind and rejuvenating the body
- Helps repair depleted adrenal glands (damaged by coffee, alcohol, nicotine, stress, etc.)
- Promotes healthy Immune system & Stress Response
- The literal translation of Ashwagandha in Sanskrit means "One who possesses the strength of a horse"
Rhodiola Rosea Extract
- Helps people deal with physical stresses.
- Rhodiola appears to augment physical and mental work aptitude and productivity.
- It strengthens the nervous system, immunity, exercise capacity, energy levels, memorization, mood, and may even lengthen lifespan.
- Antioxidant activity in Curcumin defends against free radicals
- Natural inflammation response, promoting healthy joint movement
- Curcuminoids and Turmerones assist in defending against free radicals
- Maintains healthy, younger looking skin
- Supports cardiovascular and liver health
- Cleanses the blood, strengthens digestion, and eliminates toxins
- Supports healthy weight loss
- Nature's best detox and purifier
- Triphala helps maintain a healthy digestive tract
- Powerful herbal antioxidant - Rich in natural Vitamin C
- Improves digestion, elimination and assimilation of nutrients
- Cleanses, nourishes, and strengthens the entire body
- Balance and tone all systems
- Tri-Doshic - good for all bodily constitutions
- Considered one of the most important of all herbal formulations in the Ayurvedic system of health
Non-GMO Cold-pressed Coconut Oil
- 100% Certified Organic, Cold-pressed Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Natural Source of Energy
- Excellent skin moisturizer
- Stable & Healthy Saturated Fat
- A Deliciously Healthy Cooking Oil
- Nature's Ideal High Temperature Cooking Oil
- Rich in Lauric Acid
- Cruelty Free, Dairy, Gluten, Wheat & Soy Free
These may work for you or they may not. I do not take them all at the same time. I do not have any official herbal training (please consult your specialist to see if these are right for you). It is up to you to take from this list of supportive herbs what you will and try them as you wish. Enjoy!